Wednesday, September 05, 2007

a hero who serves God


In the dictionary, hero means a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. That’s true. Sometimes we see heroes in TV series, or movies; simply like Batman, Superman, etc. Of course we know who our everlasting hero is: Jesus. But do you ever consider yourself as a hero? Do you notice a hero in your society? My perspective for a hero is “an ordinary person doing extraordinary things.” Everyone can be a hero to others; they can do things that influence other people’s lives. Sometimes we didn’t recognize our self as a hero, and sometimes we didn’t recognize the hero right next to us. To be honest, I sometimes do consider myself as a hero, also a villain at a same time. How to be a hero? It’s simple. You can take a look situation around you and analyze yourself what to do. Don’t limit yourself in doing extraordinary things, because even though there are problems, you know God will help you. Do your part, and God will do the rest.





One of the things to be a hero is helping the poor. I experienced being a hero one day. I joined a youth group called Youth For Christ (YFC) which taught me this thing: to be a hero. We were having this concert called GK concert (Gerakan Kepedulian) that the purpose was to support and helped one of the poor sites in Indonesia which was Dumpit (located near Tangerang). As a youth, we support the concert by doing some dance performances that takes 7 weeks of practicing. For me, that’s a hard work, to get to the place for practicing, keeping up with my school works, and to perform in front of lots of people. But it is my privilege to served God by this. During those 7 weeks, I experienced LOVE by reaching out to the teenagers from the Dumpit site and Joglo site that was called SIGA (Serving In God’s Army). I found out that they also love dancing and they were all talented people. I cherished my days with a lot of happiness, smile, laughter, and joy. We hang out with the SIGA and I felt as if I am a hero to them. We dance with them, chat; share stories, even play with them made us felt that we are one. To see them smile and laugh, gave me the feeling of heroism and what I hope is that the smile on their faces never fades away. Just after the concert, the feelings of overwhelmed joy and pride of serving God by doing this. Serving is really a privilege, and faith without service is a dead faith.





This year of 2007, there was YFC concert that was being held this August. It’s a concert for the young generation to get to know God and to worship Him. Again, the youth performed some dances to support the concert, created a worship team; and made this concert happened. And I felt the same way as before, and also experienced FRIENDSHIP; got a lot of new friends. I really love to continue serving HIM through much other stuff and also to continue being a HERO, not a villain.

-adela.rinadi

No comments: