Friday, September 21, 2007

extraordinary sport

When we feel passionate about something, we automatically feel happy, joy, cheerful, whatever, you can name it. Suddenly, there’s a smile, taking over the other emotions in yourself. That’s actually how I felt when I’m passionate about basketball. Basketball itself has made me into a better person both, in getting my body in shape, and also to build a better attitude and character. Also, it made me to appreciate the gift that God had given to me, and to enjoy playing for God’s glory. I realize that not everyone receives this gift, talent, of playing basketball.

Basketball expands my thoughts, experiences, and put some important values to my life. It turns my life brighter, although sometimes it also made my life a little miserable. At some point, it made me be happy, but sometimes it made me sad or pissed off, but neither way, I ALWAYS enjoy playing basketball. Even sometimes, it really wipes my pain away, and it is also a stress reliever for me.

From this gift that I got, I’d shared it with everyone else around me. I joined Karawaci Youth Sports League for this year, and the previous year, where we had to coach the little kids for 10 weeks. And by just doing that, I felt that I can be a better person who can influence somebody’s life. We’re not just teaching them basketball skills, but also manners, attitudes, and building a good character.

This year’s current basketball team is different than the previous. We’re just starting a season, and now we’re half way through. I really learnt a lot of things from this basketball team, both in skills, and valuable lesson in life. We have a new coach, and I think that’s what made this year’s basketball team to be different.

At the start of the season, there was a problem with jersey’s number. We know that Asian cultures especially Indonesia is different than the other cultures. Asian treats jersey’s number as one of the important things in basketball. But another coach wouldn’t let us choose our own jersey number because she thinks that it wasn’t a big deal, but for me it was. So I got #14, the number that I’m not even expecting it to get. I was so angry, and pissed. Eventually, He taught me to be patience, and try to forgive people. And I started to accept things the way they are, to look on the bright side by having the #14. This was just a small problem that I encountered.

The second valuable thing, yet IMPORTANT, that I got was about FRIENDSHIP. Basketball is all about friendship. In this sport, we build friendship to create teamwork and that what makes us a team. Well, I learnt that those who called as FRIENDS always support each other, in good and in bad times. BEST FRIENDS also wants each other to be happy. Moreover, BEST FRIENDS have to understand each other, and respect the decision that our friends take. The second I realize these things, I began to appreciate my team even more. This is the MOST valuable lessons to me, and my coach and friends opened my eyes and made me realize of these.

There were times when I felt lonely, and from that, I learnt to be STRONG by knowing that our GOD is always there for us. This is NOT just an ordinary sport, but an EXTRAORDINARY one for me.

P.S: Sorry I was late. Internet problems.

-del #14

No comments: